What is the Washington Prescription Drug Purchasing Consortium?
The Washington Prescription Drug Purchasing (WPDP) Consortium was created by the 2005 Legislature to allow state agencies, local governments, businesses, labor organizations, and uninsured or underinsured consumers to pool their purchasing power to get better prices on prescription drugs. The Washington State Health Care Authority administers the program.
What is the NW Prescription Drug Purchasing Consortium?
In the fall of 2006, we entered into an interstate agreement with the Oregon Prescription Drug Program to create the NW Prescription Drug Purchasing Consortium. This agreement increases the purchasing power of both states.
How does the WPDP Consortium help consumers?
The WPDP Consortium offers the free WPDP discount card. The card offers consumers:
- Discounts on all prescription drugs. (There is no drug formulary or preferred drug list.)
- Prescription drug prices at WPDP participating pharmacies are comparable to prices paid by large insurance companies who reimburse pharmacies for members’ purchases. You can look up the price you will pay for your medications when you purchase them at a participating pharmacy or through our free mail order service with PPS®.
Who is eligible for a WPDP discount card?
The WPDP discount card is available to all Washington state residents. There are no income or age restrictions; however, each person must enroll individually.
How does it work?
The WPDP discount card allows you to purchase prescription drugs at a discount. If you are uninsured, you will get the greatest benefit; however, if you are insured you may save money when you use the card to purchase prescription drugs that your insurance doesn’t cover at all. The WPDP card does not reduce your copays or other out-of-pocket costs when your insurance has paid part of the cost of your prescription.
How do I get a WPDP discount card?
Each person in your family or household who wishes to participate in the WPDP discount card program must enroll individually. You can:
- Enroll immediately online in English or Spanish
- Download English (216 KB) and Spanish (135.7 KB) enrollment forms.
- Call customer service at 800-913-4146 to enroll immediately by telephone.
Where can I use it?
You can use your WPDP discount card at any one of the participating pharmacies. To find a participating pharmacy in your area, go to our network pharmacy locator. If you do not live near a participating pharmacy, you can use the free mail order service available through PPS®.